Re: pumpd failing to renew lease

Let's see...

Under Mac OS 9, I can do pretty well. To test, I downloaded a 120 MB
file using Fetch at about 800-850 KB/s. Not too bad. I know they
rewrote the ethernet driver for Mac OS 9, so I guess it's
good. (That's the "Apple Enet" driver.) I use Fetch for testing,
because it is the simplest and fastest Mac OS FTP client that I know.

I didn't test NetBSD that much, but I know I didn't have the problems
that I have under Linux. NetBSD downloaded its main install files
overnight without a hitch (through a 10baseT LAN with a 56K modem).
Looking at the NetBSD code shows what appears to be a much more
in-depth understanding of the DBDMA system which is intricately tied
to the mace. The Linux driver just plugs a few bits into places
whenever it mentions DBDMA, and that's from within the mace driver.

So under Linux, I can get about 900-950 KB/s downloads for a few
minutes after reboot. After that, it just craps out, even for
downloading files from my slow 56K modem connection on the LAN.

Adam