Re: pumpd failing to renew lease

Yes, built-in ethernet is crappy. On my 7500, with MACE, it works
great for about 5-10 minutes, then becomes sporadic and eventually
just stops working. A reboot fixes things perfectly.

BUT, this is only in Linux. Under Mac OS 9, the ethernet works
quite well and never has any problems (other than whatever problems
there are in Mac OS).

So, the built-in ethernet can work, it is just a matter of crafting
a robust driver to cope with its bugs and terrible nature. Mac OS 9
has a robust driver, Linux does not.

It seems that NetBSD has a robust driver. Anyone up for a port of mace
from NetBSD -> Linux? Think of the rewards! Now that old Mac can have
reliable 10baseT Ethernet under Linux without adding any cards!

It's just a matter of motivation, which is severely undermined by
the existence of vastly superior, cheap PCI ethernet cards that work
perfectly.

But it might be fun...

Adam