Re: Yet another question on yaboot/ybin

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:23:33PM +0900, Joongul Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally bought a CD-RW for my pismo, and my first project is to burn a
> custom, bootable rescue CD.
>
> I figured I would need to use initrd, but the documentation for initrd-tools
> is rather light, so I haven't figured out how to make use of initrd. After
> many mistakes (I made good use of the sample rewritable CD I received with
> the CD-RW), I have succeeded in burning a working root image that uses tmpfs
> instead of initrd. I can boot the CD using yaboot and kernel on my HD.
>
> But my project is not finished,, as my final goal is to have a self-contained
> CD. The intermediate goal is to use yaboot on the HD, but use kernel from the
> CD.
>
> Here's the transcript when I tried to boot:
>
> boot:cd:,/vmlinux root=/dev/hde
> Please wait, loading kernel...
> ISO9660 disk
> /vmlinux: Not a valid ELF image
>
> boot:cd:,vmlinux root=/dev/hde
> Please wait, loading kernel...
> ISO9660 disk
>
> Can't read Elf e_ident/e_type/e_machine info
>
> FYI, /vmlinux is not a symlink, but the actual kernel image. I have also
> tried VMLINUX, /VMLINUX and cd:1, also tried burning a hybrid cd but no
> combination of those has worked so far.
>
> Can you give me some pointers? Thanks!

What version of yaboot are you using? Something better than 1.2.1 I
would think would have a better chance.

You might try leaving out the comma if there's no partition
number. I'm sure its needed if you put in the partition number, but I
seem to remember in my experiments that it wasn't if you are not
entering a partition number. Or OTOH cd:1,/vmlinux might be even
better.

One idea is to try to put yaboot on the cd also, I think by default it
looks on the same drive from which it was booted. Which might allow
you to just type /vmlinux.

Another idea is to put a yaboot.conf with an image label on the CD
too, then you'll be able to type the label. Theoretically.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |