no DHCP with 2.4

Hi,

I installed Woody on my iBook/600 and updated it with a new 2.4.15 kernel from penguinppc.org. Unfortunately, I cannot get dhcp to run with the new kernel. Neither ifconfig nor dhclient return errors, I just don't get an IP address. Running dhclient several times or restarting the network doesn't help. If I boot with 2.2.19, it's working fine besides the "unknown PHY" problem. Did I forget an option when building the kernel? Do I need some extra kernel modules for DHCP?

TIA,
 Stefan