Re: new ibook - potato 2.2r4 - image not found

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 06:05:48PM +0100, Florian Friesdorf wrote:

> That's exactly what I did.
> MacOS 9.2 from the Installation CD starts to boot.
> In the beginning the mouse is working.
> After 4 symbols (2 arrows, a question mark, a N, and i think the
> quicktime logo) appeared in the lower left corner and the progress has
> nearly reached the end, the system hangs. Mouse is not moving anymore.
> And after some time CD and harddrive are throttled down.

sounds like standard MacOS behavior.

> I don't believe the CD is damaged, because, the installed versions of
> MacOS (9.2 and X) and their installation CDs (with holding the C key)
> all hang durig boot.

the number of things that will make macos deadlock and crash is endless.

> Is their a possibility to change the way MacOS is booted?
> To skip most drivers, or kind of "single user" mode or even
> "init=/bin/sh/"?

not really.  the best you can do is hold down the shift key which
disables loading of kludge modules.  macos isn't very functional
without a large set of kludge modules to reduce stability and create
more crashes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/