Re: new ibook - potato 2.2r4 - image not found

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 07:09:41PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 06:05:48PM +0100, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> >
> > That's exactly what I did.
> > MacOS 9.2 from the Installation CD starts to boot.
> > In the beginning the mouse is working.
> > After 4 symbols (2 arrows, a question mark, a N, and i think the
> > quicktime logo) appeared in the lower left corner and the progress has
> > nearly reached the end, the system hangs. Mouse is not moving anymore.
> > And after some time CD and harddrive are throttled down.
>
> > Is their a possibility to change the way MacOS is booted?
> > To skip most drivers, or kind of "single user" mode or even
> > "init=/bin/sh/"?
>
> not really.  the best you can do is hold down the shift key which
> disables loading of kludge modules.  macos isn't very functional
> without a large set of kludge modules to reduce stability and create
> more crashes.

You only have to hold the C key down until it identifies the CD (used to be
a happy mac, I don't know what recent machines have). Then the shift key
before it starts the MacOS splash screen.

It's surprising it's loading things like Quicktime off the CD.

Another key combination, this would be for your hard disk installations, to
force a fsck kind of thing called rebuilding the desktop, hold the Option and
Command keys together as it's finishing up the parade of icons and starting
up the desktop.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |