Re: new ibook - potato 2.2r4 - image not found

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:27:46AM +0100, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to install linux on my new ibook. But I got an error message:
> '
> Welcome to yaboot version 0.9
> Wrong partition 1 signature
> Config file read, 528 bytes
> Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)
> boot:
> Wrong partition 1 signature
>
> Image not found.... try again
> WARNING ! default_close called !
> '
> I already searched the internet - but couldn't find anything useful.

great. someone fucked over r4 CD building for powerpc.

and we can't even try to do anything about it until potato r5 in
another 6 monthes.

> Another strange thing is, that after Installing MacOS X I cannot boot
> anything. MacOS 9 and MacOS X, and also their install CDs hang during
> boot phase. They stopped nearly at the end of the progress bar.

OSX is a Trojan Horse, it looks like something useful, but in reality
it just renders your box either unbootable, or hideously slow.

> I used the partition tool from the MacOS 9 Install CD to create 3
> Partitions (MacOS 9, MacOS X, Linux dummy).

the linux one needs to be first, not last, rtfm:
penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

> Others reported, there are a lot of partitions belonging to Open
> Firmware. I could only see my newly created 3 partitions - hmmm.

no partitions belong to OF except for Apple_Bootstrap.  all that
Apple_Driver crap belongs to the CruftOS, not OF.

blaming OF for those is an insult to OF.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/