Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 03:25:44PM -0800, Gordon Paynter wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have for me: after exiting mac-fdisk I got
> a "Kernel Panic: Exception in kernel pc signal 4" message and had to

this is a common and rare problem.  (heh)

> reboot with the downloaded woody yaboot/kernel/etc.  I installed
> twice, and this happened both times (someone else told me this
> happened to them with an earlier white iBook).  Luckily for me, the
> Debian kernel, and yaboot, and so on, were still on my MacOS parttion
> (formerly hd:10, now hd:14); if I had put them on the new Debian
> partition, I would have had to download them again.

it doesn't really matter which partition you temporarily bootstrap
yaboot from, just so its not UFS.

> Two things you might to explicitly warn people about:
>
>   Once you've set up the MacOS partitions with the "Apple Drive Setup"
>   tool you must NOT alter your HFS partitions from mac-fdisk (or they
>   will no longer be working HFS partitions).

there shouldn't be any need to.

>   Once you have created your Linux partitions in mac-fdisk you must
>   NOT use the "Apple Drive Setup" tool because it will take one look
>   at your drive, decide it is corrupt, and the only thing it can do
>   for you is to wipe your whole hard disk and start over.

really? i had not observed this behavor, it must be something new
since i have not used macos since 8.6.

perhaps apple is taking a more aggressive approach to destroying
unauthorized GNU installations on thier hardware.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/