Re: boot - powermac 7300 : in english now... sorry.

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:04:19AM -0800, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> >
> > A small bug which is harmless if you input the correct size, as you
> > did.  Of course it has been fixed by now but you don't need the fix
> > because you have the work around.
>
> unfortuantly nobody built new boot-floppies for potato so even though
> potato has a fixed mac-fdisk, nobody will be able to use it during
> installation.

I hate it when that happens.

> > Bingo.  You have to do this by hand.  Read the man page for quik and
> > search this mailing list's archives for threads on getting quik to
> > work, or BootX solutions to work.  Good luck, as this is an old
> > machine and the open firmware is not good enough to support a
> > reliable quik solution on most machines.  I've had better luck
> > sticking with the bootx solution, but it is not always an option for
> > some people for a variety of reasons.
>
> quik works quite well on the 7300 actually.

Yeah.  If you notice, I didn't say there was anything wrong with
quik.  It works fine.  But if the OF is cranky about reading the
hard drive, then quik doesn't have much of a chance.  On some
machines/drives, it works fine once you get that script in there
that loops waiting for the drive to come ready.  On others it
doesn't help.  I guess you could say that if it works for you, stick
with it.