Re: Recent PPC Reiser support & Reiser strategy

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 03:03, Jean-Francois Landry wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:03:21PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Okay, here goes (again):
> >
> > > I'd just like to add that I've been running most of my (x86) box on
> > > Reiserfs for over a year now, and I've yet to see it even hiccup.
> > > YMMV.
> >
> > Indeed, I didn't see a hiccup either for a few months until it decided
> > to lose all data on one partition from one second to the other.
> > Fortunately, none of that data was really important. I considered it a
> > warning to switch my work machine to something else.
> >
> > AFAIK people have reported similar failures on i386 on l-k or elsewhere.
> > Hence my conclusion that it's probably not a PPC specific problem.
>
> Sure it wasn't the drive? The controller?

Nope, they're both still working fine, both in Linux with ext3 and in
MockOS.

> Cosmic rays flipping bits in your (non-ECC) RAM?

Not impossible I guess, but even then a filesystem shouldn't alter
meta-data on disk such that it doesn't find any files anymore, should
it?

> Oh, you do stick with your regular backup schedule, do you? This is
> computing after all :)

The internet is my backup. ;) Of course I make backups of my really
important data, but that's not the point - backups are for recovery of
bad crashes or disk failures, not for the filesystem crapping out in the
middle of normal operation. That's simply unacceptable.