Re: Recent PPC Reiser support & Reiser strategy

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:03:21PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Okay, here goes (again):
>
> > I'd just like to add that I've been running most of my (x86) box on
> > Reiserfs for over a year now, and I've yet to see it even hiccup.
> > YMMV.
>
> Indeed, I didn't see a hiccup either for a few months until it decided
> to lose all data on one partition from one second to the other.
> Fortunately, none of that data was really important. I considered it a
> warning to switch my work machine to something else.
>
> AFAIK people have reported similar failures on i386 on l-k or elsewhere.
> Hence my conclusion that it's probably not a PPC specific problem.

Sure it wasn't the drive? The controller? Cosmic rays flipping bits in
your (non-ECC) RAM? OK, maybe I put just a little too much trust into
it, but most of the bug reports coming on reiserfs-list nowadays turn
out to be either non-reiserfs related or turn out to be hardware faults.

There are still bugs of course, but people are also finding new ones
in ext2 from time to time.

Oh, you do stick with your regular backup schedule, do you? This is
computing after all :)

Cheers (and let me know if $OTHERFS craps out just as badly)
	Jean-Francois Landry
--
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi.  Unfortunately,
they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming."

			--- Simon Slavin in asr