Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 03:42:29PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
>
> > The time it takes to compile a kernel on my x86 laptop isn't long
> > enough to watch a scene from a movie.  Heh.  However, the time it
> > takes to compile a kernel on my 200MHz 604e is long enough to watch
> > an entire movie.  On TV.  With commercials.
>
> building boot-floppies is a much better example then a kernel.  it
> takes bloody forever, and it has nothing to do with processor speed.
>
> boot-floppies build process is equal opertunity slow.

I've never actually built the boot-floppies all the way through on
the powerpc machine.  I started it once on my 7200 (??MHz 601), and
I killed it after about 8 hours of building.  I figured out a
sub-target that would build only the binaries that was actually
rather reasonable, I forget what sub-target is, though.  Building
all the doc stuff takes bloody forever on any machine.  It might
actually be worth the effort to make some of the document building
stuff be able to take advantage of SMP archs.  Maybe it is already
and I don't know it.