Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Laurent de Segur wrote:

LdS> I just got a new iBook 2001 600MHz+COMBO-DVD/CDRW+256MB. It
LdS> plays DVDs both under macos9 and running debian using the vlc
LdS> package without any problem at all. The previous one had many
LdS> troubles even playing simple MP3 due to 66MHz bus speed mostly I
LdS> believe. The increase in cpu speed is not phenomenal but it can
LdS> only helps.

Which is really weird as I played mp3's without any problem on an old P166
with 33MHz bus. (I don't have any problems in my iBook2-500 either.)

I can't see any reason why it would not be possible to get DVD playback to
work either on the "old" iBook2. Isn't is supposed to work under MacOS9?
And with how badly MacOS9 is designed Linux must be able to top that.

--
Henrik Edlund <henrik@edlund.org>
http://www.edlund.org/

"You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; shit
happens." -- Angelina Jolie