Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

David Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 03:16:52PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
>
> > doing.  So if DVD playback is really all that important (hint: it's
> > not) then just set your system up to be dual boot.  Problem solved,
> > geez can we move on?  Please don't tell me that you want to do other
> > things while watching your DVDs, that's just silly.
>
> Why is it so silly?  I run backups on my machine and play 3d video games
> at the same time.  I wouldn't even think of doing something like this
> under a non-Linux OS.

You have a point.

> I can see background tasks wanting to run while doing other things in
> the foreground.  Do you ever go read something while the kernel is
> compiling, why not watch another scene from a movie?

The time it takes to compile a kernel on my x86 laptop isn't long
enough to watch a scene from a movie.  Heh.  However, the time it
takes to compile a kernel on my 200MHz 604e is long enough to watch
an entire movie.  On TV.  With commercials.

> Realistically, there is probably a reason that Apple's DVD player isn't
> going to let much else happen while playing the movie.  They've tuned
> performance for all of the CPU, and probably wouldn't handle the
> scheduling of another task happening.
>
> Now, if DVD playback could be done with real-time scheduling, it might
> work.  If your CPU was very close to the needed horsepower, not much
> else will happen, though.
>
> I personally have a different approach, the DVD playback is done by one
> computer, and the compiling is done on another computer.  But, not
> everyone has that luxury.

These days even good hardware is becoming so cheap....