Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> David Brown wrote:
> > I can see background tasks wanting to run while doing other things in
> > the foreground.  Do you ever go read something while the kernel is
> > compiling, why not watch another scene from a movie?
>
> The time it takes to compile a kernel on my x86 laptop isn't long
> enough to watch a scene from a movie.  Heh.  However, the time it

Hence your CPU is too powerful :-) If gcc gets only about 10% of the cycles,
things would be better...

> takes to compile a kernel on my 200MHz 604e is long enough to watch
> an entire movie.  On TV.  With commercials.

Hmmm... Apple system with crippled slow memory bus? My LongTrail has the same
CPU, but compiling a kernel doesn't take that long.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds