Re: Advice on a iBook ...

On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 11:53, Rogério Brito wrote:

> 	My most advanced projects as a user are watching DivX movies,
> 	encoding MP3s with lame and playing files with xmms. I'd like
> 	to take the lowest (i.e., cheapest) processor that could make
> 	me watch the DivX movies without skipping.

The G3 is basically enough for that, it works fairly well even on my 400
MHz Pismo. Yesterday I had a conversation with someone on IRC who
suggested there might currently be problems with the dmasound drivers on
iBook2s which prevent smooth playback though.

The G4 can be several times as fast if Altivec is used, it's about the
same speed otherwise.

> 	And what is the status of playing DVDs with an iBook2 or a
> 	TiBook?

The TiBook is apparently fine now that vlc supports Altivec, the iBook2
is probably on the edge. I think it will be very hard to achieve perfect
playback on a G3 without hardware iDCT and/or motion compensation.

>       What about the region thing (i.e., the drives are
> 	unfortunately RPC2, right)?

The free players don't care about that. :)