Re: graph OF hangs - Please help

Hello again!

First of all sorry for the long quiescence, but I spent the weekend
somewhere else ...

> > > then your yaboot.conf has something bogus in it.
> >
> > yaboot.conf was:
> >
> > boot=/dev/hda9
> > device=ultra0:
>
> this is the same as hd: and i recommend using hd:
ok

> > partition=11
> > delay=20
> > install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> > magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> >
> > image=/vmlinux
> > 	label=linux
> > 	root=/dev/hda11
> > 	read-only
> > 	append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> but i don't see at all where this slave disk even enters the picture
> at all.

I have a similar yaboot.conf for my /dev/hdb ... sitting on /dev/hdb9.

I meant when I boot with pressing the ALT-key, I get to the graphical
OF. In my case I see one Linux-button for /dev/hda, one Linux-button
for /dev/hdb and one button Mac-OS on hdb (which I want to remove ...,
but that's another story). At that stage it normally takes a short
time, during which the cursor mimiks a clock until I can choose the
boot partition. But at that moment it hangs, it never changes back to
an arrow-cursor and there is not reaction clicking one of my start-buttons.

> > >...or else your grep is very broken.
> >
> > I bought the CD's as official Debian Binaries Potato 2.2r3, no other
>
> the one on boot-floppies was wonky, but it still worked fine with ybin
> and i tested every release against it.  your yaboot.conf has something
> wrong with it, perhaps no trailing newline.
It was the same without the newline between magicboot and vmlinux-line.
At least with ybin I tried it repeatedly, with mkofboot just once.

> > I thought this too. The more I was surprised, and that's the reason I
> > mentioned it in my mail ;-)-
>
> ybin might still parse it, id have to check, but it won't actually use
> it for copying to the bootstrap partition, it generates its own on the
> fly when you use options like --root --device --image and so on.
>
> > > where is your bootstrap partition?  its obviously /dev/hda
> >
> > No it _was_ on /dev/hdb ...
>
> then why does yaboot.conf have boot=/dev/hda2 ?

I patitioned/installed the second disks Debian-Potato in between as we
talked in the topic "mac-fdisk trouble on G4 douoble disk" to remove the
Apple-driver gruft. This made my bootstrap moving from /dev/hda9 to
/dev/hda2. The second bootstrap, I have with my Woody-disk was /dev/hdb9.

Cheers

--
mfg

Georg Koss