Re: searching for xine testers

Siggi Langauf wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > Siggi Langauf wrote:
> >
> > > So if you just get it running: fine! Nice if you'd send me a note.
> >
> > Built them on powerpc without a hitch, and they basically work. :)
>
> That's good news.

Indeed, I am pleased with the progress xine has made wrt portability.

> > > If there are any severe showstoppers: hmmm, notify me, or maybe even
> > > <xine-devel@lists.sf.net>, so we can find a solution.
> >
> > One thing is that it seems to hang when it can't initialize sound.
>
> I'm not sure about this, but sound used to work on ppc, though there have
> been some problems. Maybe someone on the xine lists knows more?
>
> Does it always hang? Does it work somitimes, when it's able to initialize
> sound? Does it work _only_ when sound is disabled with "-A null"?

No, it worked for me with -A oss, but not without any -A argument. It would
try to initialize alsa and esd (which I both don't have running) and then
hang.

> > Also, I was excited at first to see that it has an ffmpeg plugin, but I
> > couldn't play MJPEG nor DivX files, is that to be expected?
>
> This is expected to work, but I think ffmpeg still has some problems on
> big endian machines. Any volunteers are welcome ;-)

The strange thing is that it said it couldn't find a decoder for both file
types, even though it showed the correct ID (verified with xanim, which plays
the MJPEG files). Endianness bug with the type detection?

> > Haven't tried DVD playback.
>
> But that should really work fine...

I don't doubt it. :) How can I play encrypted DVDs?

> > All in all, I guess I can upload the packages?
>
> I think so. But they're not in the database yet, so it will tage a few
> dasy before they hit the archive. Maybe 0.5.2 is out till then...

All the better, but it doesn't hurt to have the old ones available, does it?

--
Michel Dänzer           |          Iogram AG          |       http://iogram.ch
Laupenstrasse 1         |          3008 Bern          |     +41 (0)1 465 45 45