ibook2 questions

Well, I went and got the new ibook, and swapped a 20gig hard drive into it
(which was an awful experience. If ever an engineer comes to me with plans for a plastic
case which "snaps" together I will personally drag him out to the curb and shoot him,
we don't need that kind.

Anyway, I've got a 3.5gig partition for MacOS, the rest for Debain.

I've got a few questions:

1) The OF graphical bootloader doesn't like me. Whever I try to invoke it
it tells me, "ALLOC-MEM is too big" or somesuch. Telling it to
"set-defaults" as Jack Moffitt's page suggests does not fix the problem for me.

2) I'd like to use the right-hand "Command" key as the middle mouse button.
However, if I try to do this, the left-hand Command key gets mapped there
too, and I have other plans for that key. Is the hardware capable of distinguishing
the two keys?

3) I can sommetimes switch between virtual consoles using fn+alt+F<N>, however
it often requires several tries, and it doesn't work at all from X. How can i
make that work?

4) Every time I boot up I have to run "ifup eth0" before the network starts working.
A lot of daemons fail to load at bootup as  a side effect of this. Is there a
configuration setting I'm missing?

6) It'd be nice to have the f12 key map to "eject /dev/cdrom" as there's no
button to manually open the tray. Can this happen?

5) cdparanoia fails to do anything with the dvd-rom drive, I get this kind of output:
------
mithril:~# cdparanoia -vsQ
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8176

004: Unable to read table of contents header

Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?
-----

Cheers,
Peter Meilstrup