Re: ibook2 questions

Peter Meilstrup wrote:

> Well, I went and got the new ibook, and swapped a 20gig hard drive into it
> (which was an awful experience. If ever an engineer comes to me with plans for a plastic
> case which "snaps" together I will personally drag him out to the curb and shoot him,
> we don't need that kind.

Strange that you don't like it.  Apple always wins all kinds of
industry and design awards for such little things as computers with
no threaded fasteners (screws).

> Anyway, I've got a 3.5gig partition for MacOS, the rest for Debain.
>
> I've got a few questions:

[snippage]

> 6) It'd be nice to have the f12 key map to "eject /dev/cdrom" as there's no
> button to manually open the tray. Can this happen?

Try something like wmmount.  sheesh.

> 5) cdparanoia fails to do anything with the dvd-rom drive, I get this kind of output:
> ------
> mithril:~# cdparanoia -vsQ
> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus
>
> Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
>
> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8176
>
> 004: Unable to read table of contents header
>
> Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?

Sooooo, is there an audio CD in the drive?  If so, try using the
ide-scsi method of accessing your cdrom drive instead.  I think it's
documented in the CDROM-Howto.