Re: Sleep on TiBook, getting Gnome sounds working

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:29:55PM -0700, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> I've
>
>   1) created the apm_bios node in /dev
>   2) modprobe'd apm_emu, and
>   3) I've got apmd and apm-sleep installed.
>
> Yet, sadly, I cannot get the system to go to sleep, nor can I get any
> battery monitors to tell me anything useful about the system's battery
> state. Running apmsleep gives me "unknown return option 255", and
> running apm returns "32-Bit APM interface not supported". I'm pretty
> new to PPC Linux, so I'm aware I'm probably overlooking something
> self-evident. Do I have a bad kernel? Is there some sort of
> configuration that I've overlooked in my mad haste to get my laptop up
> and running?

APM is an Intel specification that's not very pretty.  The PPC designers
(machine, not necessarily chip) abandoned it, and created another power
management system, using what Apple calls the PMU.

Remove the apm-related daemons and install 'pmud'.

For sound, I can't help.  Anyone else?

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>  | People tend to hate me, 'cos I never
unix brujo, shutterbug, bookworm     | smile.  As I ransack their homes, they