Re: Sleep on TiBook, getting Gnome sounds working

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:29:55PM -0700, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
>I'm running sid on my TiBook with vmlinux-2.4.6benh20010705 as my
>kernel. Overall, I'm pretty psyched with how well everything works --
>my system is noticeably peppier under Linux than it is under even
>MacOS 9.1. However, it is very sad-making when my system keels over
>dead with no warning because its battery has run dry. [...]

pmud does attempt to issue a warning, although /etc/power/pwrctl is
broken in this respect as neither of the attempts in do_warn() succeed:

    function do_warn()
    {
	    local msg="Low battery, system will go down..."

	    (
	    /usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -center -timeout 15 "$msg" || \
	    /usr/bin/wall "$msg"
	    ) &
    }

xmessage will require at least $DISPLAY, and almost certainly
$XAUTHORITY to be set for that to work.  The latter is somewhat tricky,
since X may be started in many ways although this *may* work if you use
xdm:

  XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/* \
      DISPLAY=:0.0 /usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -center -timout 15 "$msg"

wall requires the message in a file (possibly stdin) rather than as an
argument:

  echo "$msg" | /usr/bin/wall

>Yet, sadly, I cannot get the system to go to sleep, nor can I get any
>battery monitors to tell me anything useful about the system's battery
>state. [...]

Sleep seems to be broken right now.
As far as battery monitors go, Batmon works.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633