Re: X together with dual scan passive matrix PB display

leif wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > leif wrote:
> >
> >>If I have understood things right then using 'video=ofonly' means that I
> >>use some kind of open firmware video card emulation, is that correct?
> >
> > It means you are using the video settings as set up by OF at boot time.
> > Nothing can be changed, the only thing available is the video memory.
>
> What would one eventually like to change? (My PB display panel only has
> one resolution.)

Color depth for example.

> >>And where can I find out about the vertical sync values for my pb
> >>display as well as for other monitors I might use my PB with?
> >
> > I'm sure there is plenty of documentation around on how to get things
> > working with OF display. Keep in mind that the kind of panel you have
> > probably doesn't matter much as long as you don't have better means to
> > access video than OF.
>
> Are you saying that with OF display the X-settings will be pretty much
> the same regardless of which monitor/panel I'm using?

You can't change anything. X configuration is binary with OF: Either it works
or it doesn't.

> > You should really try to find out what graphics hardware you have and get
> > a framebuffer device and/or X driver going for it.
>
> I guess this would the best way, yes. When I run anXious I'm told that
> the software recognises my screen card, and then it tells me it installs
> mach64 or something. I suppose mach64 is OF?

Actually yes, but the server it wants to install doesn't work on PPC. With
XFree86 3.x, only XF68_FBDev worked for us.

> Where can I look to get frame buffer device?

It should be in your kernel. video=atyfb: and you need to pass it the correct
mode for your display.

> Or X driver for my screen hardware?
>
> I also saw some comments about installing woody to get a better version
> of X. Do you think that could also help me?

Could, as there is a driver for your chip, but you'll probably need a little
help or luck to find a version of it that actually works.