Re: unsupported display? (dual scan on PowerBook 2400 & G3)

In article <3B379E50.50504@russisk.no>, lhs@russisk.no (leif) wrote:

> Michael Blakeley wrote:
>
> > In article <B75C86EF.1F84%lhs@russisk.no>,
> >  lhs@russisk.no (Leif Halvard Silli) wrote:
>
> > I didn't have any trouble installing debian (potato) on my 2400c, but I
> > don't remember exactly what I used for the BootX arguments. You might try
> >    video=ofonly
> > to use the built-in OpenFirmware video.
>

> Thanks for the tip, which I'm gonna try now.
>
> Are you sure you have/had the dual scan version of the  2400c? There
> were one version at 180mhz and another at 240 mhz. Probably the 180mhz
> is with dual scan.

Let's make sure that we're using 'dual-scan' to mean the same thing. My
2400/180c has a 'dual-scan' video mode, which means that it displays the
same video on the LCD and on an external monitor.

Is that what you mean by 'dual-scan'? I'm only asking because you seem
to be laying a lot of stress on that feature, but AFAIK all 2400's (180
and 240) had dual-scan video.

If that's not what you mean by 'dual-scan,' then please elaborate.

I haven't ever used it in Linux with dual-scan enabled, but I've run
Linux with both displays (LCD and external VGA) at different times.
Generally Linux will start up using whatever mode MacOS left the display
in. In theory you could write a command-line tool to switch between
external, internal, and mirrored/dual-scan modes (like Ben's m3mirror
tool for the new ATI M3 chips), but AFAIK no one's written such a tool
for the 2400's CT display.

--
Michael Blakeley       mike@blakeley.com     <http://www.blakeley.com/>
            Performance Analysis for Internet Technologies