Re: X together with dual scan passive matrix PB display

Michel Dänzer wrote:

leif wrote:
I have only installed very few packages. Almost only the GNOME desktop
package, as that will be enough until I get X to work. So far debian
reports a problem with my display and refuses to start GNOME.

'display' probably means 'X display' here, i.e. has nothing to do with your
panel.

Ok, thank you.

If I have understood things right then using 'video=ofonly' means that I
use some kind of open firmware video card emulation, is that correct?

It means you are using the video settings as set up by OF at boot time.
Nothing can be changed, the only thing available is the video memory.

What would one eventually like to change? (My PB display panel only has one resolution.)

My question is: might 'video=ofonly' create problems for X?

Yes, serious problems due to the reasons above. You must configure X to match
pretty exactly what OF set up. To make things more difficult, fbset and/or the
kernel probably report bogus values for some settings - they can't figure out
the real ones either.

thnx

And where can I find out about the vertical sync values for my pb
display as well as for other monitors I might use my PB with?

I'm sure there is plenty of documentation around on how to get things working
with OF display. Keep in mind that the kind of panel you have probably doesn't
matter much as long as you don't have better means to access video than OF.

Are you saying that with OF display the X-settings will be pretty much the same regardless of which monitor/panel I'm using?

You should really try to find out what graphics hardware you have and get a
framebuffer device and/or X driver going for it.

I guess this would the best way, yes. When I run anXious I'm told that the software recognises my screen card, and then it tells me it installs mach64 or something. I suppose mach64 is OF?

Where can I look to get frame buffer device? Or X driver for my screen hardware?

I also saw some comments about installing woody to get a better version of X. Do you think that could also help me?

--
Leif