Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:05:57AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, but the original question makes it sound like the user is still going
> to have to have some idea about whether they have a new/oldworld machine or

no

> not. I say there should be a utility for both the Mac OS and for Linux that
> should be able to probe the OF and set the user on the proper course of
> action, rather than depend on the user. That way if the user starts off with
> a CD, the installer will know what bootloader to install...

different issues.  as far as the debian installer (dbootstrap) it
already detects (in CVS) newworld vs oldworld and installs the right
bootloader for each, on oldworld it installs quik, on newworld it
installs yaboot.  the yaboot installation is/will be 100% rock solid
and provide 100% success.

what i am talking about is the prompts you get when you apt-get
install kernel-image-2.X.YY it currently asks you if you want to run
quik to install a new bootblock, it also asks if you want to generate
a basic /etc/quik.conf. along with asking if you want to make a
boot-floppy. this is totally useless on a NewWorld.

i think that if were a newworld the boot-floppy question never
be asked since its impossible.

what i am wondering is if its useful for the kernel-images to do
anything with ybin or not.  i definitly think it should not ask about
running quik on newworlds at a minimum.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/