Re: switching to linux keycodes in woody

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 08:37:29AM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:
> On   5 Jun, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> > I am wondering if there is any reason we should not switch woody to
> > use linux keycodes by default and finally abandon the adb keycodes?
>
> There should be none, except maybe MOL: last time I checked (which was a
> few months ago), MOL wouldn't cope with Linux keycodes. If that problem
> is solved, yo have my OK (not that I have anything to say here...).

i believe that has been fixed, i asked about that a lonnng time ago
when 0.53 was current and was told it was fixed in CVS.  now that were
several versions from that it should be fine.

> As long as the result is a consistently working system, I'm all for it.

well i recently switched my own machine to use them and was quite
pleased to find that things finally behave consistently with x86 linux
box.  init keyboard request and whatnot now works.

taking a peek at dbootstrap's code it doesn't look like anything
really needs changing, only console-* needs to be fixed.  and the
kernel-images.

i think the challenge is making sure users upgrade things correctly,
they have to reconfigure the default keymap at the same time as
installing a new kernel...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/