Re: X dies while I'm not looking...

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 03:52:35PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Tovar wrote:
>
> > More to the point, from /var/log/xdm.log :
> >
> >     Fatal server error:
> >     fbdevUpdateColormap: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (Function not implemented)
> >

> >     When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> >     the full server output, not just the last messages
> >
> >     xdm error (pid 1347): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1
> >
> > You're right about the fix. I wonder if this just occurs with 'video=ofonly'
> > or it afflicts video cards operating in native mode as well.
>
> Probably the former as the ioctl shouldn't fail in the latter case.
>
> I wonder if this still happens with the current XFree86 CVS (or any 4.x
> version for that matter).

It still happens on my system (if I run "xset s activate" x dies), which is
4.0.2.

Thanks, by the way, to Tovar.  I didn't realize that dpms would work
without crashing X, but in fact the lines you provided work beautifully,
and are much more convenient than turning off my monitor! (And, yes, I live
in California, so I really should be conserving power).
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/