Re: X dies while I'm not looking...

Tovar wrote:

More to the point, from /var/log/xdm.log :

    Fatal server error:
    fbdevUpdateColormap: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (Function not implemented)

    When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
    the full server output, not just the last messages

    xdm error (pid 1347): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1

You're right about the fix. I wonder if this just occurs with 'video=ofonly'
or it afflicts video cards operating in native mode as well.

Probably the former as the ioctl shouldn't fail in the latter case.

I wonder if this still happens with the current XFree86 CVS (or any 4.x version for that matter).