Re: Getting MOL running (was "Re: Power Management et. al.")

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:52:03AM -0700, Tovar wrote:

> It works great on the local X server, an amazing hack!  It just doesn't
> work remotely, probably because of the bitmap mapping magic to achieve
> X Windows compatability.  I'm not complaining it not working, i would
> just like to have shown the folks at work a Mac screen over a dialup
> connection under X Windows, especially given how annoying 'PC Anywhere'
> is to me.

mol at least in 0.53 would check for a $DISPLAY variable and if it
existed it would use windowed mode connecting to the X server listed
in the DISPLAY variable.  i was able to get a mol screen on my x86 box
running X.  but even over my 10Mb lan it was HIDEOUSLY slow, the color
was screwed up (everything in macos had a yellow tinge over it, like
the gamma was wrong) and the keyboard didn't work, probably because
mol 0.53 is hardcoded to expect adb keycodes and it would obviously
get i386 keycodes from my x86 box.

its odd that it was so slow, i can run every other X program over the
network and not even notice the difference, ive done this with mozilla
even and well mozilla is about the slowest bloated hog you can get
asside from {star,open}office ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/