Re: Power Management et. al.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:48:01AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Hmm - I have made an unofficial .deb of mol available here:
> http://debian.jones.dk/debian/local/auryn/pool/jones/mol/
> or
> deb http://debian.jones.dk/debian/local sid misc
>
> It is compiled against 2.4.2-something headers, I think it only has to do
> with the sheep-net ethernet driver, non-networking parts of mol should run
> fine also on other systems).

someone made an ITP for mol several monthes ago, but i don't think
anything ever came of it..

i was going to look at this again to see what i could come up with.
one really tricky problem is it seems you often MUST recompile the mol
modules against the exact kernel source of the running kernel.
otherwise they don't work.

on my system when i upgraded to 2.2.19 and force load the 2.2.18 mol
modules mol bitches that the kernel patches don't match mol or
somesuch rubbish.  i think this happened from 2.2.17 -> 2.2.18 as
well.

my idea is to take the module sources from mol and put them in thier
own package, say mol-modules-src or something.  this package should
depend on kernel-headers and would allow the user to build just the
modules against thier running kernel.

i am not sure if this would work though, if i get bored agian i may
mess with it.

one other thing i have found, it seems that non-root users cannot run
mol for the first time, even with a setuid patcher, since AFAICT its
the wrapper shell script that loads the modules, this of course fails
if your not root.   an ugly solution to this is add a initscript to
run the patcher and then install the mol modules...  but then again
allowing non-root users to run mol may be a huge security hole anyway.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/