Re: XFree4 on Pismo

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> <snip>

> At startup, the kernel says something like
> fb0: ATI Rage 128 frame buffer device on /pci@...
>
> XFree86 starts, displays those funny blue vertical lines for about half a
> second, aborts and says:

> <snip>

> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from
> list!
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Okay, it looks like you aren't telling X where your fonts are.  You can't just
put "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts" as your font path.  You have to make sure that
mkfontdep (or whatever the app is called) is run (you can tell cause there'll be
a font.dir file (and two other related ones, but I think that's the important
one) and that you have explicitly named each directory path in your X config
file.  For example, my fonts section looks like:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    # local font server
        # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

> Am I supposed to boot _with_ "video=ofonly" or _without_? If I enter that
> option after the Linux yaboot target, the kernel says:

For the Pismo you shouldn't need any video arguments.  If you boot with "ofonly"
then you won't get an accelerated driver in X, and everything will be slow and
things like backlight control (IIRC) won't work.

> <snip>
> I installed woody with the XFree86 packages. It is true that I didn't have
> any of the font packages installed, but the above outputs are _with_
> installed font packages.

Well, you still need to tell X where they are.

> <snip>

> So, you're running kernel 2.4? Can you do me a favor and send me
> a) your XF86Config

Just try adding the explicit list for your font directories.  If that doesn't
work, I can send it to you, email me off list for it.  If you search the list
archives, people have posted How-To's including config files for Pismos.

> b) your kernel config

If you rsync or use bk to get Paulus' or BenH's tree it should come with a
compilable kernel.

> c) tell me how to compile my own 2.4 kernel - I fetched kernel-2.4.3 and it
> broke during compiling

You might have to get a PPC maintainer's tree.  Check the archives and
linuxppc.org or penguinppc.org's site (one of them has more information than the
other, I can't remember which).

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--