Re: XFree4 on Pismo

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> <snip>

> (WW) R128: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:16:0) found
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Well, the config file does specify the device driver, but not the BusID.
> /proc/pci tells me:

> Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
>   VGA compatible controller: ATI Unkown device (rev 2).

Looks like perhaps you are not running with support for the ATI Rage128 card?  Are you
booting with "video=ofonly"?  In my log files, I get full device recognition, as far
as what type it is anyways.

> And the error message even says that the ATI card is to be found at
> PCI:0:16:0. So I added the line
>
> BusID   "PCI:0:16:0"

Necessary, I think.  (it definately was in the early days of X4)

> to the "Device" section of my XF86Config-4 file. Now XFree86 hanged and
> couldn't even be aborted by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. I had to reboot.
> Then I saw the option "UseFBDev" in the Lombard part of the the device
> section, so I just added that as well. Now the server started and displayed some
> funny blue vertical lines on the display until it stopped because it couldn't
> open default font 'fixed' (dunno yet how to solve that problem).

Well, that sounds like you don't have on the of font packages installed...  Are you
running X4 from the .debs in unstable, or are you building it from source yourself?

> <snip>
> P.S.: It might sound *real* stupid to you, but here's just one more
> question: how for Christ's sake do I switch between consoles like under PC-Hardware
> with Ctrl+Alt+F{1-6}?

On a Pismo, unless you remap some keys, you press Cmd+Ctrl and then press and release
the Fn key, then while still holding Cmd+Ctrl press an F key.  You might need to play
around with the timing, but those are the keys (at least for my Pismo running 2.4)

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
Make your vote count!  http://www.votenader.org