Re: Exhaustive memory test for Macs?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:27:47PM +0000, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
> >Has anyone else tried memtest?  It compiles on my potato ppc box, 7200 and
> >g3, but it runs under the OS, and only checks memory that is mlock able.
>
> Thanks for mentioning this.  I'm running it right now on my 8500.  It
> seems to work fine, although it was only able to mlock 50 MB of the 96
> MB I have installed.  But it clearly provides a much more exhaustive
> test than the Newer Technologies RAMGauge.
>
> I could probably get it to test more memory if I had less running on my
> box, I'll try running it from single-user mode (give the -s kernel param
> to BootX)... no, if I boot single-user I can still only test 50 MB.
>
> Maybe I could compile a minimal kernel that would load this off a
> ramdisk image, and use memtester for "init".
>
> Even better would be to implement memtester as a device driver and load
> the whole thing in the kernel.

did you try compiling a tiny kernel with only the absolute minimal
options required to just boot and read the filesystem?  then boot with
init=/memtest  (drop memtest in / temporarily so you need not run init
or any other userland process).

but its true the only way to really test virtually all the memory is
to write the memory tester as a OpenFirmware client and boot it
directly -- no OS at all.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/