Re: potato on PB G3

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:31:59PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2001 15:46, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > when you remove macos you should totally clear the partition table to
> > eliminate all that macos crap.
>
> Ok, here's what I've done:
>
> I rebooted from the binary-1 CD and got into fdisk. I deleted everything I
> could delete, so basicly just the partitions I had created during earlier
> tries to install Linux. I wasn't able to delete the driver partitions or the
> map itself.

it never ceases to amaze me how people make things hard on themselves
by ignoring perfectly good documentation

http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt

or if your tired of waiting on my isp's slowaris server

http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

this explains how you get rid of all that driver shit.

> Then I created the bootstrap partition like the various docs told me to do, a
> root and swap partition followed. I finally figured out the difference
> between type, name and system - seems strange but it makes some sense now...

yes the above doc explains that.

> I had about 2 gigs of free space left so I created two HFS partitions, one
> nearly 2 gigs, the other one around 100 megs. So, now it looks like this:
>
> 1 map
> 2-7 drivers
> 8 patches (whatever that is)
> 9 bootstrap
> 10 root
> 11 swap
> 12/13 hfs
>
> I happily installed the base system. Now that I understood how to get the
> partition stuff right, I also understood the install docs and did the
> mkofboot thing successfully and my Linux finally booted off the hard disk.
>
> After having installed other standard packages, I had a look at the hfsutils
> and figured that I could use those to format the two hfs partitions. But
> although I labeled them and read the man pages again and again, the MacOS
> installation system that I booted off the CD doesn't recognize them as
> volumes (the hfsutils do though). If I start the MacOS hard drive utility
> that does the "initialization" it lists the CD drive and the ATA hard drive,
> saying that the hard drive is "unrecognized" or "uninitialized" or something
> (dunno what the original word was - my MacOS is German). The problem is: I
> don't dare press that "Initialize" button because I once did that and it
> wiped the complete hard drive.
> How can I get MacOS on this volume?

why do you want MacOS?

--