Re: potato on PB G3

On Wednesday 11 April 2001 15:46, Ethan Benson wrote:

> when you remove macos you should totally clear the partition table to
> eliminate all that macos crap.

Ok, here's what I've done:

I rebooted from the binary-1 CD and got into fdisk. I deleted everything I
could delete, so basicly just the partitions I had created during earlier
tries to install Linux. I wasn't able to delete the driver partitions or the
map itself.

Then I created the bootstrap partition like the various docs told me to do, a
root and swap partition followed. I finally figured out the difference
between type, name and system - seems strange but it makes some sense now...

I had about 2 gigs of free space left so I created two HFS partitions, one
nearly 2 gigs, the other one around 100 megs. So, now it looks like this:

1 map
2-7 drivers
8 patches (whatever that is)
9 bootstrap
10 root
11 swap
12/13 hfs

I happily installed the base system. Now that I understood how to get the
partition stuff right, I also understood the install docs and did the
mkofboot thing successfully and my Linux finally booted off the hard disk.

After having installed other standard packages, I had a look at the hfsutils
and figured that I could use those to format the two hfs partitions. But
although I labeled them and read the man pages again and again, the MacOS
installation system that I booted off the CD doesn't recognize them as
volumes (the hfsutils do though). If I start the MacOS hard drive utility
that does the "initialization" it lists the CD drive and the ATA hard drive,
saying that the hard drive is "unrecognized" or "uninitialized" or something
(dunno what the original word was - my MacOS is German). The problem is: I
don't dare press that "Initialize" button because I once did that and it
wiped the complete hard drive.
How can I get MacOS on this volume?

Thanks a lot for the explanations so far...

Phil.

--
    Philipp von Weitershausen
[ *pronounce: "fun Viters-houzen" ]