Re: Booting to floppy

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 07:14:08PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 05:58:59PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > wish i had the requisite skills to try and make improvments to them
> > but i don't.
> >

> Hmm, what exactly would you need to know?

C programming skills and the ability to understand the obfuscated ball
of spaghetti that is dbootstrap.

> 2.2.19 root disk prob would need kernel hacking skill

yup.

> Docs would need a good tech writer.  I may be able to help.  Anyone know
> what format the docs are in origionally?  I haven't done any writing (except
> for a text editor) in linux, what programs should I learn first?

the docs are in sgml, which is easy enough to figure out.  the main
thing with docs is being able to write it well and in a way
understandable to someone who actually needs to read them.

> What other issues need to be looked at?

my personal gripe is that `make Debian GNU/Linux bootable from the
hard disk' is completely and unecessarily broken on NewWorld macs.  i
have written all the userland tools to setup the bootstrap, all
dbootstrap needs to do is generate a basic /target/etc/yaboot.conf and
point mkofboot at it (and enforce 800K Apple_Boostrap partition
creation).  (mkofboot can already generate a functional yaboot.conf on
the fly but its not saved anywhere and is not suitable for the actual
/etc/yaboot.conf) check the debian-boot archives for a recent message
i posted explaining what needs to be done in detail.

> Booting is a large one.

fixing up quik and putting together a table of all the oldworld macs
and the respecting OF configurations required for quik to work would
be a good thing.  i would be happy to write a ybin like wrapper to
quik that figures out the machine type and reconfigures OpenFirmware
(as much as possible since some patches are
non-free/non-distributable).  the thing is i have zero Oldworld
machines, none, nada, nill.

> I know I'm forgetting a lot.  Maybe you guys can help me remember...

the current boot floppies are being EOLed, woody will be the last
release to use them so just some of the really obnoxious crap we don't
want to live with for another 2.5 - 3 years should be fixed, after
that the main effort should be making debian-installer non-x86
friendly.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/