Re: upgrade to MacOS 9.1, now lilo dissapears

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 01:13:01PM -0700, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Grant Miller wrote:
>
> > At some point after I erased the OS 9.0.4 partition, a disk called
> > bootstrap showed up on the MacOS desktop.  This disk has never
> > appeared before in MacOS.  The bootstrap disk is at /dev/hda9 is named
> > Apple_Bootstrap and is of type HFS.
> >
> > Once the bootstrap disk showed up in MacOS, lilo did not appear when
> > booting.
>
> Minor note: the newworld bootloader is called yaboot, not lilo.
>
> > Is there a way to get the Apple_Bootstrap partition to not be seen by
> > MacOS even though it is a HFS partition?
>
> Yes. The type (not the name) of the partition should be Apple_Bootstrap
> rather than Apple_HFS. This will prevent MacOS from mounting the partition
> and unblessing the boot script.

Yea, that did the trick.  I went into mac-fdisk and deleted that partition
and created it again, this time setting the type to Apple_Bootstrap.  Ran
ybin and everything works now.

--Grant Miller   grant at unixguru dot org

  A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
                -- Steve Wright