Re: upgrade to MacOS 9.1, now lilo dissapears

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Grant Miller wrote:

> At some point after I erased the OS 9.0.4 partition, a disk called
> bootstrap showed up on the MacOS desktop.  This disk has never
> appeared before in MacOS.  The bootstrap disk is at /dev/hda9 is named
> Apple_Bootstrap and is of type HFS.
>
> Once the bootstrap disk showed up in MacOS, lilo did not appear when
> booting.

Minor note: the newworld bootloader is called yaboot, not lilo.

> Is there a way to get the Apple_Bootstrap partition to not be seen by
> MacOS even though it is a HFS partition?

Yes. The type (not the name) of the partition should be Apple_Bootstrap
rather than Apple_HFS. This will prevent MacOS from mounting the partition
and unblessing the boot script.

Using mac-fdisk to change the partition type should solve your problem.

If for some reason this doesn't work, you could also try running ybin with
the --protect option, or adding "protect" to /etc/yaboot.conf. This will
make the yaboot files read-only, and hopefully will prevent MacOS from
unblessing them.