Re: Yaboot Config Question

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:41:50AM -0400, Matthew Grant wrote:
> I am trying to get Debian 2.2 on a 9600/200MP.
> When I reboot I get the Disk with the X in it. Which means I
> need to configure My boot loader. I can't get into OF I get a
> black screen.
>
> I boot with the floppies and go to a shell I mount my root
> partion (/dev/sda3) to /target and run ybin -b /dev/sda3.
> It tells me there's no config file. or it tells me it's not a
> HFS file system.
>
> I am used to Lilo and debian on i386. would some one give me a
> clue on what steps I am suppose to do to configure yaboot.
> If I am doing this ass backwards send me a Link to were I can
> learn the PowerPC way.

 Problem number one: the 9600 is an oldworld machine.  You can't use yaboot.
If you're planning to dual boot, then use bootx.  Otherwise, use bootx for
now, until you figure out quik.  (I've had good luck with BootX on my
Daystar Genesis MP, which is similar to your system I guess.  BTW, I've
found that compiling kernels isn't nearly as fast as I hoped it would be
with 4 PPC604 CPUs at 150MHz.  I think the problem is that they share the L2
cache, and it isn't big enough to keep 4 gcc processes happy.  That, and the
limited memory bandwidth/latency bring it down.  My Athlon 650 is about 5
times faster at compiling.  Both machines have 128MB of RAM.  The pmac has
old (but decent) SCSI disks.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y