Re: new installation on 4400/200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net>
To: <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: new installation on 4400/200

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 10:00:21AM +0200, Bruno Waes wrote:
>> so far i managed to install debian on i386, sparc and alpha, and now i
>> to give powerpc a try ;-)

>you will find that oldworld macs are a right pain in the ass to
>bootstrap without macos.  if you keep macos around you can use bootx.
>preferablly use an older macos such as 8 something as 9 is more
>problematic with bootx.

i now have the box right beside me, it has macos 7.5.3 loaded on its single
the bootx  .sit file is on the cdrom but it is not recognized by macos

>> is this machine able to boot from cdrom ?

>>no you will need to use the hfs-boot floppy, but then that is rather
>>broken see the list archives.  its useful if you want to purge all
>>traces of MacOS and use quik, but you first need to figure out the
>>right unholy witchcraft to perform on OpenFirmware to allow quik work
>>on this particular machine.

i need linux on this machine, no macos, but i understand i will need macos
to boot from the first time ?
is quik something like lilo or silo ??

what would be the thing i have to do now ?