Re: new installation on 4400/200

Bruno Waes wrote:

> [...]

Uh oh...  I wasn't able to get it to unpack in MockOS either (on a Motorola
StarMax- pmac 4400 clone with 7.6, the newer StuffIt don't run on <8.1), had to
unpack the tarball in Linux (link somewhere in the "Sand use hfscopy to get it
there in a form where it would run.

> >> is this machine able to boot from cdrom ?
>
> >>no you will need to use the hfs-boot floppy, but then that is rather
> >>broken see the list archives.  its useful if you want to purge all
> >>traces of MacOS and use quik, but you first need to figure out the
> >>right unholy witchcraft to perform on OpenFirmware to allow quik work
> >>on this particular machine.
>
> i need linux on this machine, no macos, but i understand i will need macos
> to boot from the first time ?
> is quik something like lilo or silo ??

Yup.  Among other things, it allows you to repartition without worrying about
corrupting your MockOS install.

> what would be the thing i have to do now ?

You might check the archives, search 1Q 2001 for quik, there are relevant
threads starting 2/6 and 3/10.  It might take a few tries with the boot floppies
to get it to work.  For your reference, here's the output of nvsetenv on my
machine (well, the bottom half anyway, the ones you care about):

auto-boot?      false
boot-device     scsi/sd@5:4
boot-file       linux
input-device    kbd
output-device   screen
boot-command    boot linux

In particular, with auto-boot? false, the input and output devices make life a
lot easier, it's a luxury to have working OF screen output (on 4400s and
clones)!  But if you want to remotely reboot, you need to set auto-boot to
true.  I boot from a kernel on the zip drive (hence the boot-device) because
Linux is on hdb, which BrokenFirmware doesn't recognize; your setting there will
be different from mine.

Oh- also, my quik.conf section which should work with the 2.2r2 kernel:

init-message = "Booting Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)\n"
root=/dev/hdb6
timeout = 0

image = /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21
 append = "video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:8"
 label = linux

(Those should be tabs in front of the append and label lines.)  "label=linux" is
what the boot-file and boot-command refer to in OF variables above.  This gives
1024x768, vmode:18 is 1024x870 (but is too much for my monitor).

> >> i am planning it to use as a headless, firewall/gateway box for soho use.

Why headless?  1 MB VRAM not enough for you? :-)

Seriously, I use a StarMax 3000/160 as my home workstation (and firewall/gateway
for the laptop and my wife's PIII 700 :-), and it is a fine box, even reasonably
fast with GNOME 1.4 and enlightenment.

HTH,

-Adam P.

                         Welcome to the best software in