Re: [ANN] Gnome 1.4 debs available

Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://hadess.net/idoru.shtml for all the info
>
> No Fifth Toe applications available yet, old applications should work
> alright, maybe a symlink here and there for the libraries.
> I'll add them as I build them, after GUADEC.

These are the Ximian .debs?  If so, they're binary incompatible with official
GNOME .debs, and Ximian is no longer supporting sid: "unstable is changing a bit
too fast underneath us."  So I guess those .debs are for stable?

See http://kt.zork.net/debian/dd20010328_28.html#5

IMHO, the Ximian .debs play an important role for some stable users (except for
the upgrade headache because of their version numbers), and may have been
helpful for 1.2 releases a few months ago.  But now that Christian and Takuo
etc. have caught up (and we even have a pretty complete set for PPC), it seems
that for unstable users there is not such a strong reason to use them, and in
addition to duplicating packaging effort, they split bug reports so nobody has a
complete set.

Just my opinion though...

-Adam P.