Re: netatalk causes kernel panic

At 05:16 -0900 3/17/2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
yup, i just wrote my own initscript for it and disabled the regular
netatalk script.
here is the relevant portion of my initscript to start afpd, based on
/etc/init.d/skeleton, nothing special:

  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                --exec $DAEMON
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                --exec $DAEMON
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;

OK I figured out what was screwing it up. In addition to DDP problems, I got lazy and instead of writing a new script to start just afpd based on skeleton, like you did, I modified the netatalk script to remove atalkd. Left in place were these lines:

 /usr/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 "$servername:Workstation"
 /usr/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 "$servername:netatalk"

 /usr/sbin/afpd -n "$servername"

reading the man page for nbprgstr I found out: nbprgstr registers nbpname with atalkd(8), at the given port.

since I don't have DDP compilied into the kernel anymore, and atalkd wasn't started nbprgstr caused the kernel panic. removing the lines calling nbprgstr fixed it.

woohoo!

Thanks for the help,
Kevin