Re: netatalk causes kernel panic

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 08:04:50AM -0600, Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> i have:
>
> mojo -tcp -noddp
>
> but didn't realize i could get rid of atalkd after doing that.

yup, i just wrote my own initscript for it and disabled the regular
netatalk script.

> When I compile a kernel can I drop the Appletalk DDP module or is it
> still required even if not really used (i.e. does netatalk look for
> it even if it isn't going to use it)?

nope don't even compile it in your kernel or as a module.  all my
linux boxes have no clue what appletalk is, nor have any appletalk
modules.  afp works fine, the mac just has to type an ip address or
hostname for the afp server in the chooser.

here is the relevant portion of my initscript to start afpd, based on
/etc/init.d/skeleton, nothing special:

  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                --exec $DAEMON
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                --exec $DAEMON
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;

--