Re: S900 booting via quik

> > DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400
>
> 0x0400 is 'ISI exception', problems fetching instructions. Basically
>  means you cannot access your instructions (like in MMU setup problems,
>  maybe caused by hosed PC register, jumps to nowhere...)
>
> This one could be caused by a bad BAT (part of the MMU) setup within the
> bootloader.

Hrm...

> > I wonder where I can find a copy of the processor manuals...

Incidentally, Motorolla has quite a bit of documentation for PPC
processors on their web site - it's just a matter of finding the right
.pdf.

> > Maybe they'll be able to tell me why I can't get a 2.4.x kernel to boot on
> > my 601-based 7200 :) (I get a "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700" until I cold
> > boot it)
>
> 0x0700 is 'Program Exception', means illegal instruction. Most probably
> you're trying to execute bullsh...

The NetBSD/powermac boot disk gives "code=FFF0700" when I try to boot the
7200 with it; the same disk works fine on the S900.

I wonder if PPC601 support was dropped in 2.4.x, or is somehow lagging
behind 603 & higher processors...

> > quik -f -i /boot/first.b.mlan
> > nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
> > nvsetenv boot-command "/bandit/gc/mesh/sd@4:0"
>                 ^^^^^^^
> I suppose you meant boot-device?

Oops - yes I meant boot-device.

> > reboot
> >
> > I get the same "DEFAULT CATCH" error as before, but with a different value
> > for "code=": FFF00700.
>
> What version of quik are you using? I'm running some old quik-1.3
> version myself; I didn't want to go thorugh the trouble of getting
> another version booting once I figured out for 1.3 ;-)

I wonder if the 1.3 first stage loader doesn't like the 2.0 second stage
loader.

> If you are using some 2.x version, you might want to give 1.3 a try,
> fith my first.b.

Yes, I'm using 2.x - that's what gets installed by default by Debian
2.2r2.

Do you have the source for 1.3 someplace?  I can't seem to find any
reference as to where to get it - all I can find is some LinuxPPC binary
RPMs that I can debianize with alien.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc