Re: S900 booting via quik

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:21:10PM +0100, Michel Lanners wrote:
> > DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400
>
> 0x0400 is 'ISI exception', problems fetching instructions. Basically
>  means you cannot access your instructions (like in MMU setup problems,
>  maybe caused by hosed PC register, jumps to nowhere...)
>
> This one could be caused by a bad BAT (part of the MMU) setup within the
> bootloader.
>
> > I wonder where I can find a copy of the processor manuals...
> >
> > Maybe they'll be able to tell me why I can't get a 2.4.x kernel to boot on
> > my 601-based 7200 :) (I get a "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700" until I cold
> > boot it)
>
> 0x0700 is 'Program Exception', means illegal instruction. Most probably
> you're trying to execute bullsh...

one thing we found in getting penguinppc booting quik is there is
something bogus going on in OF, and putting some random crap in
boot-file seems to work around it.

without boot-file set quik comes up like a terminal where you have
just cated a binary file.  and it refuses to boot.  it used to be
boot-file was set to:

ide0/disk@0:7/vmlinux root=/dev/hda7

which is totally bogus for two reasons:

it does not start with a space.

/vmlinux does not exist.

now its set to ' video=offb' however in both cases the kernel reports
its command line as something like this:

root=/dev/hda7 ro aÄäh

with some binary crap at the end. boot-file is supposed to be the
command line arguments passed to quik, but quik is apparently getting
binary crap instead.  but it pushes enough crap out of the way to keep
from f00king up quik.

this is on a beige g3, with apple's OF nvram patches.  using debian's
quik.

just some observations probably not much help...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/