Re: debian-powerpc: upcoming 2.2r3 release

Michel Dänzer wrote:

I'd also like a kernel that doesn't click on my powerbook.  I've tried 2.2.x
and 2.4.x kernels and they all click regardless of whether sound support is
compiled in the kernel.

Given this and the fact that you seem to be the only one experiencing this, it
doesn't look like it's a kernel problem.

I think it is a kernel problem. I think other people have had this problem because Ben H mentioned that this particular problem has frustrated him for some time. ie. he has not been able to find a fix for it. Other indications are that it doesn't happen with MacOS or if yaboot is setup to wait for keyboard input. Admittedly yaboot may not have initialised any hardware which could be the cause of the clicks. I've tried it in single user mode too (with no X) and it still clicks :(

I think is is less obvious when sound support is compiled in. The click is
still there but is sounds garbled (like it is underwater). It is interesting
to note that the clicks stop when I move the mouse a lot or flood ping the
machine from another host.

Do the clicks happen regularly? What interval?

When it does click the intervals *do* appear to be regular. eg. It will click every second for about 4 seconds (or 10 seconds or X seconds) and then stop clicking for Y seconds. It then starts clicking again and process repeats. I think that it doesn't happen when I first boot and then after some time the clicks kickin. I just had a thought. Maybe it's got something to do with heat or power management (eg. fans, etc).

It's weird how an external flood ping (ping -f) seems to stop the clicks, but a flood ping from the localhost does *not* stop the clicks.

Thanks for your interest,
Brendan Simon.