Re: Powerbook 3400 install

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:32:12PM -0800 or thereabouts, Joseph Red wrote:
> I see where this is on the supported hardware list, but I've been unable to
> find any install instructions.  Making some changes in OF to try to get it
> to boot from the cd-rom didn't work.  Tonight I'll create the base floppies
> & try that.  My main question has to do with MacOS.  Do I need to keep MacOS
> on this machine?  It only has a 1.2gb HD, & I'm never going to use the
> MacOS.  Is there any reason I can't just wipe the HD & fill it up w/ Debian?

Looks like you have a floppy disk... might save you a lot of trouble.

http://www.patrix.org/ppc/  tells about my adventures of installing
LinuxPPC without MacOS or floppies.. might help you a little (I had
a network though, so it saved me a lot of trouble :)  )

Also, you should find quik 1.3 before installing debian, as the newer
versions (including the one that debian installs) don't work with the
pb3400.

But since you have an OS already, it should be easier... :)

Here's how I did it when I had MacOS:

download the debian ramdisk image. Download bootX (the most recent version).

Download a LinuxPPC 2.2.15 or so kernel (I can never remember which one
works well... other kernels - including debian's kernels - can't boot
because of some SCSI mesh stuff....). Put the ramdisk image and the kernel
in bootx's directory, and run bootx. Select the kernel and the ramdisk,
and the debian install should load :)

once you're in the installer, you can delete your macos partition (if you're certain the installation will work perfectly).  I guess you should save the new quik somewhere too, so you can install it and be able to boot :)

miboot (described on my webpage) also works as a temporary measure, long
enough to get the older quik and get it running....

Cheers,
Patrix.

--
"I am the fixed point of insanity in any sane situation. And some people find
that comforting."