Re: S900 booting via quik

On  13 Mar, this message from Phil Brutsche echoed through cyberspace:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
>> Hmm.. what was the exact message again? the code= part tells you what
>> the crash was about; the last 4 digits are the type of exception, which
>> can be looked up in the PPC manuals.
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400

0x0400 is 'ISI exception', problems fetching instructions. Basically
 means you cannot access your instructions (like in MMU setup problems,
 maybe caused by hosed PC register, jumps to nowhere...)

This one could be caused by a bad BAT (part of the MMU) setup within the
bootloader.

> I wonder where I can find a copy of the processor manuals...
>
> Maybe they'll be able to tell me why I can't get a 2.4.x kernel to boot on
> my 601-based 7200 :) (I get a "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700" until I cold
> boot it)

0x0700 is 'Program Exception', means illegal instruction. Most probably
you're trying to execute bullsh...

>> Also, I'm attaching a different quik first stage; The default coming
>> with some quik release wouldn't boot on my G3 processor. Had something
>> to do with the way BAT's are set up; I have no idea whether the 'fixed'
>> version ever made into an official quik release. Copy this somewhere,
>> and rerun quik:
>>
>> 	quik -f -i <my first.b>
>
> Well, lessee...  I execute as root:
>
> quik -f -i /boot/first.b.mlan
> nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
> nvsetenv boot-command "/bandit/gc/mesh/sd@4:0"
                ^^^^^^^
I suppose you meant boot-device?

> reboot
>
> I get the same "DEFAULT CATCH" error as before, but with a different value
> for "code=": FFF00700.

What version of quik are you using? I'm running some old quik-1.3
version myself; I didn't want to go thorugh the trouble of getting
another version booting once I figured out for 1.3 ;-)

If you are using some 2.x version, you might want to give 1.3 a try,
fith my first.b.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |